Space Opera: Pathfinder rules in Alternity setting
Level Adjustment: +2
The Bhruu are large-sized quadrupeds who live in a heard-like society that have grown familiar and competent with the intricacies of a Progress Level 7 society.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: Bhruu are incredibly physical creatures. They gain + 4 Strength, + 4 Constitution and + 2 Wisdom but suffer – 2 to Dexterity.
- Size: Bhruu are large-sized creatures and suffer a – 1 size penalty to Defense and a – 1 penalty on attack rolls for being large-size creatures. Bhruu also suffer a – 4 penalty to Hide checks due to their large stature. They do however for the same reason gain a + 4 to grapple checks and can carry twice the weight of a human of the same strength.
Bhruu are quadrupeds and suffer from an inability to wield weapon effectively. They can wield weapons at a – 4 penalty with their omnidesterous tongues or tails. They can wield large-size weapons with either of these appendages, and light weapons for them are Medium-size.
Bhruu occupy a 10×10 foot fighting space and have a natural reach of 10 feet.
- Base Speed: Bhruu have a base speed of 50 feet.
- Languages: Bhruu possess the ability to speak the Bhruu language, which has no written component. Bhruu with an intelligence of 10 or greater also know Thul, taught to them by Insight citizens.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Natural Storytellers: The bhruu oral tradition is the only method that the race has had to preserve their history for thousands of years. As a result they have become elegant smiths of the spoken word. All bhruu gain a + 4 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.
- Quadrupedal Clumsiness: The technology of alien species is foreign to bhruu physiology, despite their willingness to learn. As a result bhruu suffer a – 4 penalty on Climb, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Open Lock, Pilot, Ride, Sleight Of Hand, and Use Rope skill checks.
Offensive Racial Traits
- Horns: A bhruu has large bony spikes on their head that can be used in combat. It can make one gore attack per round (or more if he has multiple attacks in a round.) Each successful gore attack deals 1d8 points of lethal piercing damage plus the bhruu’s Strength modifier. A bhruu making a gore attack is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Armor and Weapon Restrictions
A Bhruu cannot wear armor designed for other species due to their size and shape. Bhruu armor is larger and costs more than similar armor sized for a medium-size character; increase the purchase DC of bhruu armor by +3.
Bhruu cannot effectively wield Small or smaller weapons.
|Child||Young Adult||Adult||Middle Age||Old||Venerable||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height (at shoulder)||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5 ft. 4 in.||+2d8 inches||1500 lbs.||+(2d4x100 lbs.) (1700 – 2300 lbs.)|
|Female||5 ft. 4 in.||+2d6 inches||1400 lbs.||+(1d8×100 lbs.) (1500 – 2200 lbs.)|
The language of the bhruu proved quite accessible to humans and other species, and it can be mastered just as easily. The language follows certain conventions for names of places and things, though these are slowly decaying with the introduction of many Thul words and human names for themselves and their universe’s places.
The following are some basic rules:
Bhruu tend to pronounce vowel-like sounds for a long beat of two to three seconds. Thus, many transliterated bhruu words have double vowels.
Individual bhruu names end in -ak. Names for peoples or species end in a double vowel. Planet names end in -un.
Bhruu language has no “v” or “f” sounds, due to the structure of the bhruu mouth. When attempting to pronounce such sounds in Thul, bhruu typically produce a “d” or"b" sound instead.